Age 9-12 yrs Time 9.00am–12:00pm Fees $3,600
In Primary Reading and Writing the students will engage in a variety of guided writing tasks with a focus on informational and creative writing. Students will write specific text types and learn about their structure, purpose and audience. They will also develop many writing skills using accurate grammar, graphic organiser frameworks and explicit editing checklists. Students will explore examples of a variety of text types to enhance their understanding.
The student will:-
- Use familiar repetitive patterns texts in own writing
- Find words in dictionaries and create own dictionary
- Rely on key words for understanding when reading texts or when listening to texts read aloud
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Write well constructed paragraphs – topic sentences and points of elaboration
- Spell words with accuracy
- Plan the piece of work using a graphic organiser
- Write a first draft focusing on meaning rather than accuracy
- Produce polished copy after conferencing and editing
- Experiment with a variety of connectives
- Learn the difference between informal and formal language
Students will examine a variety of texts both factual and creative; read independently and in small groups; examine different text types on chosen theme and extend vocabulary by noting and using previously unknown words found in the texts selected.
Activities include reading modeled and guided practice writing, research based learning, discussion, drafting, conferencing, editing and writing polished pieces.
Students will read, analyse, plan and write the following text types