Age 6-8 yrs || Time 9:00am–10:30am || Fees $2,040 || Class Size 12
Junior Oral Language aims to help students express themselves more fluently, clearly and confidently in a group setting. Students build on a developing level of oral language competency and will participate in activities which enhance their level of understanding. Students will prepare and present basic formal and informal speeches. They will learn oral techniques and skills that build towards performance speech.
The student will:
- Speak with a degree of fluency without causing undue strain to the listener
- Improve listening skills to recognise speech patterns
- Learn the appropriateness of speech in a variety of situations
- Focus on intonation, stress and rhythm
- Learn to pronounce words clearly and correctly
- Use appropriate connectives
- Become more confident speakers and readers.
Students will familarise themselves with a variety of age appropriate factual and creative texts; read independently and in small groups; examine different text types on chosen theme and extend vocabulary by noting and using previously unknown words found in the selected texts.
Activities include reading aloud, practice phrasing questions and responding in an appropriate manner depending on the situation and the audience. Students will be engaged in presenting both formal and informal speeches in a variety of situations.
Students will develop listening and presentation skills through:
- Reading aloud with confidence in class from chosen texts
- Identifying key words in texts
- Responding appropriately to spoken texts
- Developing appropriate sentences
- Composing a variety of speeches based on audience and purpose
- Developing skills in the use of appropriate phrasing, register and tone
- Using appropriate body language and gestures when delivering talks
- Discussion groups
- Participate in role play with other members of class.