Age 6-8 yrs || Time 9:00am–12:00pm || Fees $3,600 || Class Size 12
The Junior Comprehensive English course covers all aspects of literacy. Students will be immersed in language where they will learn to listen carefully, develop further their comprehension skills and read a variety of texts for meaning and enjoyment. The students will be exposed to, explore and develop a variety of text types.
The student will:
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Develop reading habits and build their capacity to reflect on what they have read
- Use a variety of strategies to prepare for writing (for example, making lists, mapping ideas, rehearsing ideas,
grouping related ideas, story webs)
- Attempt to construct more detailed written pieces
- Begin to spell known words with some degree of accuracy
- Plan before writing using a graphic organiser
- Write a first draft focusing on meaning rather than accuracy
- Produce polished copy after conferencing and editing
- Experiment with some basic and less familiar adjectives, adverbs and punctuation markers
- Pronounce words correctly and use appropriate stress and intonation patterns.
Students will examine a variety of texts, both factual and creative; read independently and in small groups; examine different text types on chosen themes and extend vocabulary by noting and using previously unknown words found in the texts selected. Activities include reading a variety of theme based texts, modeled and guided practice writing, discussion, drafting, conferencing, editing, writing polished pieces and oral presentations.
Speaking – Students will develop listening and presentation skills through:
- Reading aloud with confidence in class from chosen texts
- Identifying key words in texts
- Responding appropriately to spoken texts
- Developing appropriate sentences
- Composing a variety of speeches based on audience and purpose
- Developing skills in the use of appropriate phrasing register and tone
- Using appropriate body language and gestures when delivering talks
- Discussion groups
- Participate in role play with other members of class.
Writing – Students will read, analyse, plan and write short pieces in a variety of text types.