Age 4-5 yrs || Time 9:00am-12:00pm || Fees $3,600 || Class Size 12
The Foundation Phonics course will give students the opportunity to develop important phonological awareness skills that will aid in their development of reading, writing and speaking. These skills will be developed through a wide range of phonic-based, written and hands-on activities in a fun, non-threatening way.
The student will:
- Develop awareness and teach letter sound relationships
- Recognise some sight words
- Use rhyme and alliteration
- Use segmenting
- Develop visual memory skills.
Activities include alliteration rhyming, predicting and listening activities, syllabification and segmenting, initial and final sounds, shared books, copying arts and crafts, songs, puppet plays and games.
The following topics will be covered through learning activities listed below:
- Phonemic awareness
- Rhyming – poetry, songs, jingles and rhyme through movement
- Consolidate awareness of syllables in words through clapping names, listening games and everyday words
- Introduction to phonemic awareness and letter blends
- Names and numbers in conjunction with phonic and number rhymes and games
- Word games – sounds like, nonsense
- Reciting nursery rhymes
- Recognising rhyming words
- Listening to stories – looking at texts – big books
- Matching letters and sounds to pictures
- Making simple words using known letters
- Introduction of common sight words